There are so many articles out there with a headline resembling the heading of this article. Even I tried initially to write an article that could work as a comprehensive guide for a beginner. But I realized that there so many things I wanted to cover that a single article would not suffice. Thus I have written a series of articles with the same intent. This is an introduction to the articles I have written and together they can be considered as a guide to mutual funds.
- 1. Understanding Mutual Funds: This is an introduction to mutual funds I have tried to cover even the most basic concept which people assume that everybody knows. You might find some things which so MF experts profess missing, or the exact opposite is written, this is intentional and not a mistake. You will find many popular opinion are nothing but marketing gimmicks.
- 2. Understanding Debt Mutual Funds: A few days before writing this article I heard one of my friends saying, “Debt funds are risk-free”. This article explains the basics of debt funds to protect you from believing such rubbish. Even if you are a seasoned MF investor I recommend you give this a read, you might realize debt funds are a whole different breed.
- 3. Growth Vs Dividend Funds: I started this article as a comparison of growth and dividend option in a mutual fund, but I struggled to find advantages of dividend option. Thus I ended up writing an article busting the myths about dividend options. Even if you don’t read this article, you should avoid dividend option in mutual funds.
- 4. What is a SIP?: Oh, the misconception people have. Starting from considering SIPs as a unique investment instrument like RDs, to assuming SIPs reduces risk. I have explained basics of SIP, and have tried to explain some popular myths about SIPs that I have personally witnessed being propagated.
- 5. Index Investing and Index Funds: I am still not satisfied with this article, because I can talk/write for hours about this topic. The struggle was limiting this article to a comfortable length. A very basic introduction to index investing and index funds.
- 6. All Types of Mutual Funds In India: A brief explanation of all 36 categories of mutual funds as per SEBI categorization. Not much detail has been provided, as that would have turned this into a book, but you can have an idea about all these categories and that will aid in the further study if you want to learn more about any category.
- 7. Which Category of Mutual Fund to Choose?: Simple to the point article about the mutual fund categories I recommend. A retail investor can have a pretty successful financial situation if she/he sticks to these categories rather than collecting a plethora of funds.
- 8. How to Select a Mutual Fund?: A very simple and effective way to select a mutual fund. Please don’t get confused by the overcomplicated approaches which so-called experts preach, because at the end of the day your investment plan matters way more than the fund you select.
Happy investing to you dear reader.